Sunday, October 17, 2010

Assignment #4, Part II



I just received an email from our professor offering some thesis formulation assistance. According to Professor Richter, there is a DevilOne and a DevilTwo. DevilOne is a religious figure, “God’s other.” DevilTwo is a literary figure.

DevilTwo is based on DevilOne, but DevilOne is fluid. The professor pointed to Goethe’s Mephistopheles (a DevilTwo) that is based on Luther’s devil (a DevilOne). You see the point: DevilTwo is a function of DevilOne, and since DevilOne is fluid, so is DevilTwo. 



I just finished reading Paradise Lost again--finally! Consider Milton’s Satan. If the professor’s assertion is correct (and it is), Milton’s’ DevilTwo is based on the DevilOne of his time, of his place, what the professor termed the “local” devil.


With this in mind, it seems that I need to find out as much as possible about  Milton’s local devil (courtesy of Luther), what his attributes were etc. Then, after giving this DevilOne figure a shape, I can  superimpose it on Milton's Satan and identify the common denominators/differences.


My job at this point is to outline parameters, discover just what Milton had in mind and what was available to him.


My new question is this: What, with specific attention to the devil-figure in Paradise Lost,  differentiates DevilOne from DevilTwo?

If I can find out what precisely differentiates DevilOne from DevilTwo, then I may actually have something to contribute to the discussion.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment